Friday, December 27, 2013

Ft. Jackson Continued . . . Gate 5

Stephanie Lockhart and I picked up the Ft. Jackson Passage trail at Gate 5 along Leesburg Road and headed south.  We hiked 3.3 miles total (1.75 up and back) and it took 1.15 hours.
 I actually tried to take a picture of the Gate itself because it had a cute little Christmas wreath on it, but the guard came out and told me I couldn't. I wondered what Alpha level meant . . . so:
  • FPCON ALPHA describes a situation where there is a small and general terrorist threat that is not predictable. However, agencies will inform personnel that there is a possible threat and standard security procedure review is conducted. (Usually must show one or two military base IDs at gates.)
 There lots of pine saplings and foamy green moss along the tight path.  The trail winds around a lot and is very thin--one-man-wide.   Ben did find a tick on Dixie a couple of days after we got back from our hike.
Amazingly, we found a cemetery tucked away on the trail. It was pretty small.  It had lots of little infant tombstones, too. 


 



 I found this cute little fungus growing on the trail. I think it is called Neolecta irregularis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment